December 11, 2009

Abbey's Zip-Tie Modern Wreath




WREATH-MAKING MADE MODERN!

A Zip-Tie Modern Wreath

This do-it-yourself modern wreath can be made with common items found at the hardware store. I made one for my brother who is a perfect receiver of this gift cause he's very anal and loves to zip tie things.. as he works on cars and electronics. But it looks cool ALL YEAR ROUND (depending on how you paint it). The way I painted the one in the picture is stated below, but you can play with it and make it unique each time! Have fun! This is a sure crowd-pleaser! Make sure you give yourself a few days to complete the project as it will take awhile for the paint to dry before putting it all together.

SUPPLIES

Medium-sized Styrofoam wreath (can buy at Michaels)Bunches of zip ties (I got mine at Ace hardware on sale.. the off-white - I got 4 packs of the long ones, and 2 packs of the short ones - short ones came more in a pack than the long ones)Primer (also got at Ace - one that will stay on plastic well)Spray Paint (I got a metallic silver at Ace)Acrylic Paint (I purchased a bronze metallic small tube at Michaels)

PROCESS

1. Choose your pattern. I chose to have 3 lengths (small, medium, and long) so since I had purchased the long and short lengths, I only needed to cut some long ones to make the medium length. So as the first step, I lay out all my zip ties in the pattern that will take up the circumference of the wreath to make sure I like the pattern and have enough ties. In my picture, I followed this pattern:SHORT - MEDIUM - LONG - MEDIUM - SHORT - MEDIUM - LONG - MEDIUM - SHORT - ETCNote that since I have more mediums, I had to have double the amount of mediums compared to the long and short, and therefore required more cutting.

2. Primer the zip ties - one side at a time. Let dry between sides.

3. Primer the Styrofoam wreath. If you chose silver as your main color, you can keep the Styrofoam primer color but if you chose some other color I would choose to spray paint the Styrofoam wreath that main color as well so that when you are finished, any see through to the Styrofoam is the same color as the painted zip ties.

4. Spray paint your zip ties a festive color (I chose metallic silver) - one side at a time, let dry completely.

5. One by one, loop each zip tie around the foam and fasten them with the tie end facing out. Place them in order of your pattern you chose in step 1. You can choose to use all the same lengths for a more symmetrical look, or have the varied lengths to give it more depth.

6. As you place each zip tie on the wreath, make sure it is pushed right up against the previous one. If you wish, you can stagger the direction of the tips of each zip tie to add depth (as I did).

7. Once all the zip ties are on the wreath, you can (optional) paint the tips of each zip tie a festive color (I chose bronze as it was more neutral so this wreath can be used all year round, including the holidays!).

8. Finally, I used a small wire (or string) and attached to the back/top to create the hook. Hang it on your wall and begin to get great compliments on your very mod, new wreath! :)

HAPPY WREATH MAKING!

Love, Abbey


No comments:

Post a Comment