December 21, 2010

Kyria's Leftover Turkey Pie

This is a great way to use up that left over turkey. You can also use a whole young chicken instead. All these amounts are estimates, since I just threw it together without an acutal recipe.

Inside of Pie:
Left over Turkey -- I used two drumsticks and a wing.
1 large carrot, chopped fine
1/2 large yellow onion, chopped fine
3 or 4 pieces of celery, chopped fine
4 Cups of water
Salt to taste

Gravy:
4 tblsp butter
sprinkling of flour

Pie Crust:
2 cups flour
2/3 c chilled butter
5-9 tblsp water

First boil all the filler ingredients together until the vegetables are done. If you are using a young chicken, boil everything until the chicken is done. Separate the goodies from the broth. Keep both. Take the turkey off the bone, get rid of all the gross fat and keep the rest.

For the gravy, put the butter in a pan. When melted, sprinkle flour over it to make a roux. Once you have your roux (mixture should be pasty but not dry) add in 3 cups of the broth to make a gravy.

For the crust, add the butter to the flour little by little and mix with your fingers until the mixture has little pea sized pieces of butter in it. Remember, crust is better if you keep it cool, so don't touch it too much! Just mix it around for a couple minutes then leave it alone... Add water slowly and mix it with your hands (again, dont touch more than you need to) until you can roll it into a ball and it doesnt fall apart. Separate the ball into two pieces. Roll the first one out on a floured board and place it inside a deep 8 inch round pan (I used a pyrex dish).

Place the turkey and vegetable mixture into the pan. Add the gravy. Top the entire thing with the remaining half of rolled out crust. Make sure there are no holes in the crust. I usually just roll each round out bigger than I need it, then I can pinch the edges together really good.

Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 35-45 minutes, until the crust looks golden brown. Serve and enjoy!

This is really good the second day too!

No comments:

Post a Comment